Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Growing Dry Beans - Heirloom Rockwell Beans

I tried something new in my garden this year, growing dry beans to save for the year.  In my area, there is a nice heirloom bean that has been growing here for the last 100 plus years.  The Rockwell bean is a small bush bean, similar in size to a pinto bean, that makes excellent baked beans.

I read some of the stories of the bean:  


So after reading about this cool old bean, I bought a package at the farmers market from Willowwood Farms,

I of course tested these out!  The recipe was on the back of the label, and made a great baked bean that even my little boys liked!



I kept a handfull of beans and planted them in late may as recommended on several blogs about this bean.  Despite several run ins with cut worms and birds eating the sprouts, I ended up getting 12 bushes of beans out the the handfull of beans.  They grew very well and produced 3-5 pods with 3-6 beans per pod.

I harvested the beans in the first week of October.  Simply pulled up the plants and laid them out in my garage to dry for a week.



Ames True American Wood Handle Bow Rake 1849400 (Google Affiliate Ad)After a week, I shelled the beans.  They are a cool white and maroon/red color and look perfect for planting next year.



  Not the largest harvest in the world, but I am going to save these and plant next year and see what I can do with better planting and plant protection knowledge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment