Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Salmon Berries - Sweet and Sour

Salmon Berries are such a conundrum.  You see them all over the place, large juicy looking berries that you keep convincing your self must be delicious!  Eating them can be a different story.  Some can have a really great taste with a mild aftertaste.  Others are straight up sour, and the color, ripeness, and size seem to have no bearing on the taste.



One of my sons loves eating them though- munches down buckets of them in the early spring.


I eat some to be supportive, and like about the first dozen.  The fact that they come out before all the other berries makes them easier to like.  Sitting next to blackberries or raspberries, I would pass on the off flavor of the Salmon Berries, but in the late spring, before the blackberries are even blooming, they are worth a snack while wandering around in the forest.


Does anyone have any good recipes for salmon berries?  Though they are gone for the year in my neck of the woods, I keep thinking I should do something with the large quantities next year!





No comments:

Post a Comment